Christmas lights have been sparkling across the streets of the city of Bath since mid-October, which just goes to show how keen this heritage city is to enter into the spirit of the festive season!
The Bath & North East Somerset Council put up the lights early to make sure it was all done and dusted before the city’s many Christmas events kick off – including the award-winning, glittering annual Bath Christmas Market, which this year is open for business from Thursday, November 28 to Sunday December 15.
Bath doesn’t go in for a formal light switch on ceremony like many UK towns and cities do, but the lights will be turned on on November 21 – the official start of late-night shopping for the season. The traditional Christmas Tree in the Abbey Churchyard will light up the night from November 27, the day before the start of the bright, bustling Christmas market.
Here at Toghill House Farm – just a few miles from the city’s festivities – we’re excitedly looking forward to all the events lined up too. It’s a busy time for us with so many guests coming to stay specifically to enjoy the celebrations in Bath, and we love adding those little extra heart-warming touches to our accommodation to add to the magic.
If you’re visiting Bath during this merry period, here are some of the special events you can look forward to enjoying during your stay:
- No need to stress about shopping for Christmas gifts: at the Bath Christmas Market you’ll be able to tick everyone off of your list and have a fantastic time doing it! From November 28 through to December 15 the regal streets of central Bath lined with iconic Georgian buildings are transformed into a winter wonderland, with more than 150 brightly lit chalets occupied by local shopkeepers and artisans peddling their festive fare. You’ll find everything from hand made jewellery to wooden soldiers and sweet-smelling toiletries. Sip some mulled wine or hot chocolate, sample some hearty street food and soak up the atmosphere.
- If you want to really enjoy the crisp winter weather in Bath, you’ll need to get your skates on! The spectacular 1,000 square metre ice rink at Royal Victoria Park opens on November 15 and stays until early in the new year. It’s open every day (except Christmas Day) from 11.45am to 10pm on weekdays and 10.30am to 10pm at weekends. Another fun festive diversion to enjoy at the park is the Glow in the Dark mini golf course (from November 15 to January 5, 4pm to 9.30pm daily).
- Bath’s theatres and live entertainment venues are rocking all through the festive season. Particularly good for a laugh is the Komedia club which has a packed programme of scintillating shows lined up. Catch the likes of the Scummy Mummies Christmas Show, the Ministry of Burlesque Christmas Cabaret, The Wurzels’ West Country Christmas party and much more through December.
- If you’re with the kids (or a big kid yourself) you’ll have a ball at the Theatre Royal – Bath’s brilliant multi-venued centre for the performing arts. There’ll be hanky panky with Beauty and the Beast in a traditional pantomime at the main theatre from December 12 to January 12 and a musical production of Rapunzel will be thrilling children aged seven and up at the smaller Egg venue from December 6 to January 12.
- If you’re a party animal you’ll love kicking your heels up just a stone’s throw from Toghill House Farm at one of a series of Bath Racecourse’s famously fantastic Apres-ski themed Christmas party nights. Fuelled by Prosecco and a three-course festive dinner in an Alpine setting the partying goes on until dawn for those who can see it through to the serving of a “Survivors’ Breakfast”. Book early because these events are hugely popular.
We’ve barely touched the tip of the iceberg here with the fun and frolics available in Bath at Christmas-time. Nearly every restaurant and hostelry in the city has events on offer from festive champagne afternoon teas at the Royal Crescent to Christmas wreath workshops and candlelight choir singing. There really is something for everyone. Come and see for yourselves – we look forward to hosting you at Toghill House Farm.